Open Source Infrastructure
We have our first event coming up on March 2nd in Pasadena, California!
Open Source Infrastructure @
A one day conference about Infrastructure as an Open Source Project
Open Source Infrastructure List
I spent four years working as a Systems Engineer on the OpenStack Infrastructure team. The team there built the open source infrastructure for the open source OpenStack project. Everything the team touches is open source!
In the course of our work building this infrastructure, we met several teams also doing the same thing.
The following is a list of open source infrastructures that we're now familiar with:
- OpenStack: http://docs.openstack.org/infra/system-config/
- Rubygems: https://github.com/rubygems/rubygems-infrastructure (Chef Cookbooks and scripts)
- https://wiki.mozilla.org/ReleaseEngineering/PuppetAgain (Puppets repos and doc from Mozilla Release engineering)
- https://github.com/mozilla-platform-ops (Various terraforms and git repo from Mozilla Ops)
- https://github.com/mozmar/infra (Mozilla Marketing SRE repository)
- Python Foundation:
- Fedora: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure
- The open source way .org: http://git.theopensourceway.org/cgit/ansible/
- Jenkins: http://jenkins-ci.org/content/come-join-infra-team
- FOSDEM: https://github.com/FOSDEM/infrastructure(Ansible Playbooks)
- MediaWiki: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Continuous_integration
- IPFS: https://github.com/ipfs/infrastructure (Custom shell script for provisioning)
- NixOS: https://github.com/NixOS/nixos-org-configurations (NixOS packages)
- Apache Software Foundation:
- The Linux Foundation IT: https://github.com/lfit
- Adblock Plus: https://github.com/adblockplus/infrastructure (Puppet modules)
- BuildBot: https://github.com/buildbot/buildbot-infra (Ansible playbooks)
- RPMFusion: https://github.com/rpmfusion-infra (Ansible playbooks, scripts)
- Foreman: https://github.com/theforeman/foreman-infra (Puppet manifests and modules)
- FireHOL: https://github.com/firehol/infrastructure (Scripts and config)
- https://github.com/wikimedia/puppet (Puppet manifest and modules
- https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Portal:Wikitech (Various operations documentations)
Do you know about an open source infrastructure for an open source project that you want to see in this list? Let me know! You have several ways of doing so:
- Submit a Merge Request on GitLab
- Email me Elizabeth K. Joseph <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Send me a message on IRC, on both freenode and OFTC I'm pleia2
- Tweet at @opensourceinfra
Q: What is the criteria for inclusion on this site?
A: It must be an open source project with an open source infrastructure. Projects that operate a fully open source infrastructure are preferred and may soon be split into a specific section. However, if the project has a partially open source infrastructure that may be valuable to other projects and organizations, that may be added as well.
Q: This is a site about Open Source Infrastructures, but you host the code for this site on GitLab, why not host it yourself?
A: GitLab is open source software, so satisfies my personal requirements for tooling. I have enough work to do without hosting my own GitLab instance :)